Saturday, June 16, 2018

The Arc of It All

Yes, I know it has been a while since my last post. I've been going through some life changes and I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel so it is time to start blogging again. This week, the character arc.

Your arc is, for lack of a better word, your journey in the show. What do you learn? What do you accomplish? Also, your arc doesn't have to be for you. Your arc could be you helping someone else. Let me give you a perfect example...

Mrs Wormwood in "Matilda". She learns absolutely nothing in the show. She tells us exactly what she's all about in her act 1 number, "Loud". She is solely focused on outward appearances. By the end, she's the same. So what's her arc? Well, according to one of the actresses who played her on Broadway, if Mrs Wormwood did not abuse Matilda, Matilda would not end up where she needs to. So, if your character learns nothing, start thinking about your arc in another way. What do I help someone else to do?

To wrap up, and just for a little bit of fun, to quote Mrs Wormwood, "I look good. You don't "

No comments:

Post a Comment