Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Won't You Be My Neighbor

Today I saw the most amazing documentary about Fred Rogers (the Mr. Rogers from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood). This man had a seminal role in my childhood as he did for so many others. He never talked down to children. He talked right to them. It was always a conversation. He never beat around the bush. When Bobby Kennedy was assassinated, he used the word assassination on his show. I just want to talk about one powerful moment and then we'll draw this to a close. There was a scene on his show where Mr Rogers was cooling his feet off in an inflatable swimming pool on a hot day. A local cop (who happens to be a black man) comes over and Mr Rogers invites him to join in. He declines because he doesn't have a towel. Mr Rogers wastes no time in offering to share his towel. That would be enough, but no. He goes further. He dries the man's foot. It is amazing how much a small gesture can have such an impact on a child.

Alright, now, we got off topic in these last couple posts. My next post will be up next Thursday night after I see "On Your Feet" on tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment