Thursday, March 30, 2017

Get Your Lines Right People!!!

This post is going to mainly be a rant and me on my soapbox. Two days ago, I went to visit the old friend that I've mentioned several times on this blog. On this particular day, she was unhappy because her production of Macbeth opens on April 12 and the cast is, shall we say, not ready for primetime. They don't know their line. Worse yet, they are substituting modern English. You can't use modern English in Shakespeare. It doesn't make sense! I only hope that this improves by the time I see the production on April 13.

Why am I ranting about this? I'm ranting about this because you need to say the lines as written. The playwright put certain words in a script. Use them. Also, most especially when you are doing Shakespeare, do not rush it and please use proper punctuation. If it is a question, please say it as such. If it is an exclamation, please exclaim. The lines are written that way to convey a certain emotion, and people are going to get very bored if they are staring at a bunch of blank faces for hours on end. It is no fun!

If I sound like I'm ranting, I apologize but this drives me nuts. Also I'm trying to take my mind off the fact that a co-worker of two years had her last day today. Also I may be ranting out of excitement because I just booked tickets to go to Universal Studios Hollywood (and yes to "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" also)!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment