Sunday, March 12, 2017

Kinky Boots Part Two

This post is going to be all about Kinky Boots. I arrived at the Civic Theatre 1.5 hours before the show. I had packed lunch so I ate outside the theatre. I went in to the lobby area to get warm. Minutes after I walked in, they updated the cast board. Last night there was an understudy for the role of Don but today was full cast, no understudies. As soon as they started scanning tickets, I made a run for the merchandise counter. I walked away from that counter with a Kinky Boots T-shirt, a souvenir program, a copy of the original Broadway cast recording, a book of the sheet music, a hat, and, best of all, knee high socks that look like the boots. I took my seat in the theatre and was immediately taken up in the world of the set. As the show started I started shaking. Seeing Young Charlie be so unsure of himself and what he wants juxtaposed against young Lola, who is so sure of herself, is so beautiful. These are two people that you would not expect to be friends as adults but they are and the friendship is beautiful. We see the shoe factory going under. I know so many can identify with a downturn.

And now, finally, I am going to talk about...her. Kinky Boots fans know that I'm referring to Lola. We had a brand new Lola (Timothy Ware) fresh from Broadway where he was the Lola standby. He embodied Lola so beautifully. It is not easy to follow in the footsteps of Billy Porter, Wayne Brady, Alan Mingo, Todrick Hall and J. Harrison Ghee as well as all the others but Timothy did that and blazed his own trail as well. All his/her songs were amazing but it was the moments where he wasn't singing or dancing or being generally fierce that, quite frankly, moved me almost to tears. This is the first time that I've almost cried at a show. I had a friend tell me she cried when she saw it because the show was so good but it was more than that for me. I was moved by Lola. I felt her. She gives off this inner strength that so many wish they had. Yes, she spends time educating us on the merits of a good heel but it is her deeper message that really got me.

So many messages in shows are subliminal and subconscious, but not hers. She states her message very clearly in act 2. She and Don both issue challenges to each other regarding what they think it takes to be a real man. Don challenges Lola to a boxing match, which she lets him win, but her challenge to him is also her message. Accept someone for who they are. Easy, right? No. Not at all. You need to accept yourself first.

Another big thread running through the show is a father's relationship with his son. The last time Charlie saw his father was not the best of times. In fact, his father told Charlie that he was breaking his heart. The next time Charlie came home, it was to plan his father's funeral and take over the business. He never got the moment with his father to say things that hadn't been said. Lola, however, did. It's a very poignant moment at the end of the show. The song is called "Hold Me In Your Heart". Lola stands center stage in a Whitney Houston inspired wig and gown and sings right to her father about how he missed out on her becoming the best person she could be, but yet she chose not to be bitter. I'm crying right now just typing this. This next thing is the biggest one for me. The very last scene has Lola standing on the runway in Milan, hands on hips, showing off the boots with an air of confidence like no other. I was so deeply moved by that (here come the tears again) that I did something I rarely ever do. I downloaded a picture of Miss Lola in that pose and uploaded it as my wallpaper on my phone. Why? I'll tell you why. I want to be able to carry her with me wherever I go. Whenever I need that boost of strength or confidence, she's right there with me. Not only can I hold her in my hand whenever I need her, but she has a permanent place in my heart. It's hard for me to end this post because I'm crying yet again so I'll end with this.

I love you Miss Lola, and I always will. I will come back to you in my heart and my hand whenever I need you and I know I can always count on you to be there. I love you...

No comments:

Post a Comment